About us:

This blog is dedicated to the obsession with and love of the Olympics.

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

2010 Medal Design


The medals of the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Winter Games are circular in shape and based on a large master artwork of an orca whale by Corrine Hunt, a Canadian designer/artist of Komoyue and Tlingit heritage. Each of the medals has a unique hand-cropped section of the abstract art, making every medal one-of-a-kind. The medals were revealed on Thursday, October 15, 2009.

 Ever since the Torino Olympics in 2006 I have really gotten into the medal designs. I think because I was so moved by the artist's reasoning behind the ones that year. Following those were the exquisite metal and jade works for Beijing and now these from Vancouver. I was a bit stunned by their look at first but the rippled shape of them is just beautiful. I didn't post the ones for the Paralympic Games but they are a rounded square with a similar ripple. I never would have thought of anything like this!

No comments:

Post a Comment